Tuesday, September 23, 2008
teeth of ivory bites regret into shallow skins of silk made of a spider's woven net catching all but the one true as the endless depths of eyes pierce bodies now carved from marble as the sly cat smiles at your empty life, you wonder what the fuck you've been doing all this time and the smoke clears and it's too late, for you were lost in a field of maize, crushed lost loves and passive hate, silent screams inside plea for help, but no one can hear the old woman in bed for her sons have long forgotten and remember wealth, for when you craw into the coffin, it cushions well for the bumpy trip that we will take to hell
Posted by Zanzounito at 1:35 AM
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Friday, September 19, 2008
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Tuesday, September 09, 2008
Growing up in the United States is not easy. There is a lot of pressure to fit in and succumb to peer pressure. Having sex, partying all night long, clubbing, and drinking are common social activities across the nation and shorelines...
The temptations to seek instant sexual gratification is all around, especially if a woman happens to be beautiful.
Today, I am grateful for having the ability and discipline to draw my own boundaries that define who I am.
Posted by Zanzounito at 11:25 PM
So, finally, I have survived the biggest lab screw ups in history.
Over the past months, I have been struggling to "think like a scientist," multitask, remember, and really, really focus.
Now that it is in the past, I can laugh about it and reminisce about the "old days"
Here are some "funny" things that have happened over the course of my new lab job..
1. I overheated 6 liters worth of bacteria in a shaker overnight by overlooking the settings on the shaker.
2. Added 1000x more BME to cells and had to survive the terrible fumes that ensued.
3. Setting a plastic beaker filled with alcohol on fire- had to run and pour water on it and my experiment.
4. Eluting my DNA into waste during the final step of purification/extraction.
5. Breaking 2 glass beakers that had 2 liters worth of bacterial growth.
6. Being sprayed with bacteria-missed my eye, but got into my hair.
7. Mixing samples-classic one.
8. Overgrowing bacteria to a dense state.
9. Missing a step in protein purification-lost days worth of work--I wanted to throw myself out the window (that's why the uni. doesn't have openable windows hehe)
10. Overheating enzymes to the point where they become inefficient.
Posted by Zanzounito at 8:22 PM
1. Do something that scares you every day.
-Fear gives you wisdom and makes you work harder than you imagined you could.
2. Keep a record of tips and inspirational quotes.
3. Stay curious.
4. Pledge to show up in your life as yourself, not as an imitation of anyone else.
-Ideas derived from Fitness magazine
Posted by Zanzounito at 8:19 PM