Tuesday, September 09, 2008

In the Lab Part I

So, finally, I have survived the biggest lab screw ups in history.

Over the past months, I have been struggling to "think like a scientist," multitask, remember, and really, really focus.

Now that it is in the past, I can laugh about it and reminisce about the "old days" 

Here are some "funny" things that have happened over the course of my new lab job..

1. I overheated 6 liters worth of bacteria in a shaker overnight by overlooking the settings on the shaker.

2. Added 1000x more BME to cells and had to survive the terrible fumes that ensued.

3. Setting a plastic beaker filled with alcohol on fire- had to run and pour water on it and my experiment.

4. Eluting my DNA into waste during the final step of purification/extraction.

5. Breaking 2 glass beakers that had 2 liters worth of bacterial growth.

6. Being sprayed with bacteria-missed my eye, but got into my hair.

7. Mixing samples-classic one.

8. Overgrowing bacteria to a dense state.

9. Missing a step in protein purification-lost days worth of work--I wanted to throw myself out the window (that's why the uni. doesn't have openable windows hehe)

10. Overheating enzymes to the point where they become inefficient.



No comments: