Monday, April 17, 2006

Are you stalking me?

Texas summer heat is here and the swealtering sun showed no remorse as I ran my errands on campus. The university landscape has improved tremendously since my freshman year. As I was walking to a review session, a violist in the music balcony was serenading me with her homework and I relish the two minutes before I had to imprison myself in another lecture. I passed by a good friend, who happened to run into me twice already...his reaction is: Are u stalking me? Because that would be great. I answer, "Today must be your lucky day!"

I am unsure if this is a Texan reaction (when you see someone repeatedly throughout the day) or if it is common in other cultures....but it is used often on our campus

This brings me to another afternoon coffee break with a good friend of mine, let's call her M. I am going to write more about M in the near future..but for now, M and I have been friends for years and she has showed me a view of this world that I would never have seen. I admire and consequently envy her. This envy is not the type of ill will that most people associate with envy but it is the healthy type that encourages you to work to have qualities like that person.

Today, she told me something that I would never have known about her. She, too, saw qualities in me that she also wish she had.

I never thought that she felt the same way about me. In ways, I wanted to be like her and she wanted to be like me. This type of yearning may be perceived as a type of negative emulation where we all try to have a homogenous character. I disagree. I see it as a natural yearning to exhibit qualties that we sense we lack. We all strive to be wanted and liked, so we want to exhibit qualities like intelligence, humour, and beauty to make us appealing to others.

My dad always tells me to surround myself with people whom I can learn from. These friends have shaped me into the person I am today.

When summer comes, I am going to attribute posts to those who have shaped me and also give an interesting biography of their lives...

3 comments:

BeeJ said...

Zeina, it is great to have friends like that, and your dad is 100% correct. Just don't dissect too much. Relationship dynamics can be interpreted in many ways, and sometimes its as simple as just feeling good being around these people for no specific reason. I sound like a grandma.

Laila K said...

This is very close to how I feel sometimes with the my close friends, and you're right, I definitely believe that it's a healthy way of evolving into someone better everyday

Zanzounito said...

beej-every relationship has a reason, btw..how was that manouche?

laila-i still can't get over the tango!