Monday, May 29, 2006

Law of Probability and My Messy Room

I don't like to share this with many, but only between you and me.

I like things tidy and neat. As I was folding yet another shirt today, I asked myself, "Why is it, that it is easier to dirty a room than to clean it?"

Because, my dear, we are victims of a law of probability. You see, there are more chances, more places, more spaces for something to be outside of its place, than the small likelihood that it would be in its right place.

The world is increasing in entropy (randomness) and I must learn to live with it!

5 comments:

Laila K said...

entropy is my best friend :)

Delirious said...

As my good friend Ramzi would say, Probability is something that succeeds beautifully in general and fails miserably in particular :)

BeeJ said...

We are finally talking. I recommend you read a book written by Nassim Taleb. Its called Fooled By Randomness. You will be a smarter person after you read this. This invitation is currently extended to Zanzounito only.

Zanzounito said...

Never thought of it that way, Del

Beej-I will definitely add this to my reading list

BeeJ said...

Zeina, part of my comment may be misinterpreted, but that is not the intention. This book is a true mind-fuck. Reading it will inevitabely get you asking some questions.