Friday, January 13, 2006

Sensitivity in the Field of Health

Each Friday, I volunteer at a clinic that helps underserved people in my area. I take the usual vital signs and chief complaints that patients may have. My first patient was a woman whose son died of leukemia last week. She cried and cried and I all I could do to comfort her was to get her some water then prick her hand to take her blood sugar level. More and more, I am beginning to realize that patients are looking for someone who cares, who truely cares. We all want someone to care about us. It's human nature. I just wonder how much we reciprocate that feeling towards others. I vow that I will continue to be a compassionate person, to genuinely care about the welfare of others, and to continuously assess myself in my attitude towards others. Occasionally, you run into health care workers who have heard every tragedy known to man. These workers begin to see these tragedies as commonplace and a part of the circle of life. They lose the compassion and say the same phrase, "I am sorry to hear that," over and over again. It is when these workers begin to react this way that they need to take a good look in the mirror and ask themselves why they are in the profession in the first place. What goes around comes around. The way you treat people will be the same way they will treat you one day.

2 comments:

Fouad said...

What you say is true even if "what goes around comes around" weren't true. Medicine has gradually become a job rather than a mission. Some (probably many) do it for the lifestyle it usually ensures, some for the intellectual and scientific challenge it poses, and some in search of personal and egotistical gratification. VERY few do it out of humane altruistic love for the ill and the needy (in the large sense of the word). And like you said, many of those who start off on that path lose sight of it with time, as things start getting repetitive and old. If you can put yourself in the mindset that all of what you do is entirely for the patient's well-being, then you've come a longer way than many doctors have or ever will. Excellent post zanzoun. Good luck with studying for the MCAT.

Zanzounito said...

thanks, btw I am digging your blog