Saturday, January 28, 2006

Trust Thyself, Every Heart Beats to that Iron String

If there is any piece of literature that I would recommend to anyone, written words that strike me in ways unimaginable, thoughts so provoking that it continues to inspire me since a decade ago.

This is a 20 page essay called Self-Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The essay has some points that I agree and disagree with, however. What I really enjoy about this particular work is what the message is:

imitation is suicide and we have to break free from what society wants to make us, to believe in ourselves, and maintain our identities, which is a constant struggle for a Lebanese in the West

I am sure it happense to all of us. We always immediately get asked, where are you from? What is your religion? What is your's (or your dad's) occupation?

People who ask me these kind of questions trigger something in my brain: they are looking for a way to identify me, box me up in one sentence. Sum me up in a few words.

Well, that is not going to happen.

Anywho, I am digressing. What I wanted to talk about was why you, yes you, should read this essay.

It is easier in this world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude, says Mr. Emerson.

He gives examples, for example, have you ever wanted to answer a question but were hesitant to say something infront of everyone and be wrong.? Then, the person next to you says the answer in your head and you are forced to give him/her the credit of the idea that you thought of first. That happened/s to me all the time.

Also, one more thing about consistency. Emerson has taught me that being consistent is sometimes a good thing, but changing is ok. We sometimes fear that by changing our opinions, we fear to be viewed as capricious and fickle people. My opinion is that of Emerson's and that is the brain has nothing to do if it does not occasionally reevaluate its thoughts.

That said and done, I must go study for my beloved exam. Speaking of which, I took my first diagnostic exam today....six fun hours of test-taking excitement..ok, ok, ok I am going................

2 comments:

Fouad said...

Isn't he the one who said
"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"?

Zanzounito said...

fouad-
yeah, something like that

aroundtheclock-
glad you could find it
your welcome!