Saturday, March 11, 2006

Random Rambling

I was sitting at a coffee shop and saw these girls all dolled up with their pointy heels, curly hair, and stylish handbags...to me, they looked a bit gaudy....

it is nice to look stylish, and I don't mind looking presentable to people, you know, clean and put together,...but it is when people go above and beyond with material objects such as cars, diamonds, and designer clothing that I start to cringe and think to myself of a quote from the Holy Quran:

The material things which ye are given are the conveniences of life and the glitter thereof, but that which is with God is far better and more enduring. Will ye not then be wise??

Something occured to me today, If I base my identity on mere objects, what will happen if I lose them...it is better to base yourself on intangible things.

I am not a religious person, and am just a mere student who has so much learning to do.

3 comments:

BeeJ said...

Zeina, this is a great post in every meaning of the word. Using tangible things as capital for happiness and well-being is certainly not the way, simply because they are a means to serve the human instinct -- the element that we are most warned against in the Quran.

I think i've learned the hard way because it all turns into a vicious circle of wanting something, working to get it, and then monitoring the 'meet' expectations and 'show' parts of the equation, followed by an urge to renew and improve. The withdrawal symptoms are painful and sometimes visible (in terms of mood swings...worse than pms), but i've learned that happiness comes from the simple, meaningful things like 'knowing thyself'... that Emerson essay was a good read actually. I downed it on a flight the other day.

Zanzounito said...

i am glad that you read it! yeah..i know what you mean about wanting to renew and improve..but i am a hypocrite in a way because I enjoy the finer things in life, but who doesn't?

BeeJ said...

yes, that did sound a bit dramatic on my part. Ok, I am a brand-label addict.